My Corregidor trip

I was never really the outdoor type. I’d dread the prolonged exposure to the sun and inevitable heat. In fact, I have never longed to go to the beach and frolic under the sun, or maybe go hiking or trekking. I have always been contented with the mall and a lot dose of retail therapy.

Actually, I don’t really know whatย  pushed me in actually joining this trip, but I’m glad I did ๐Ÿ™‚ I had so much fun, except for the icky sweaty feeling and the thought of basking yourself under the sun for the whole day.

I went to Corregidor with my friends just for the heck of it. We took Sun Cruises’ services, which is only Php1999.00 for a day tour with free lunch buffet. So we got at the port as early as 6.30 am, boarded the ferry by 7.30am and left Manila at 8.30am. We got in the island at about 10am and started with the tour.

We toured Corregidor with Polish tourists, and coincidentally, our tour guide was a Polish-American. It was a fun bunch, and our tour guide knew a lot about the place since his father was one of the soldiers in Corregidor during the war. Currently, our tour guide and his wife are in a 3-year contract with Corregidor Foundation Inc. (the one who manages Corregidor). So probably staying in Corregidor and doing the tour guide services meant really a lot for him.

There were mostly remnants of the barracks and structures that were left behind by WW2. Tourists would normally check out the huge canons left in the island and have their souvenir pictures taken. We were also taken to the different battery sites. By battery, meaning it’s a group of guns or missile launchers operated together at one place.

We even got to saw the sound and light show inside Malinta Tunnel (for an additional of Php150.00). It shows what happened in the island during World War 2 with the simulations using sounds, lights, and projectors. I enjoyed every bit of the show. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Since the island is divided into four zones, there were parts of the island that were more mellow. We were taken to see the gift shops, the chapel, and the museum.

Our final stop before taking the ferry ride back to Manila was Gen. MacArthur’s statue.

Leave a Reply