Red lipstick is like the “little black dress” in your makeup bag. It’s a classic look that every girl should know how to wear. It can make you look instantly elegant and sophisticated. However, wearing bold red lips can be very tricky and intimidating for the first time. Here are some first-timer tips for you:
- Pair red lipstick with the lightest possible eye makeup. Play up with your eyes only when it’s a fancy gala occasion.
- Use a red lipliner that is closest to your lipstick shade to avoid bleeding. If you can’t find any, use concealer around the border of your lips.
- Fill in your lips with your lip liner before you apply your lipstick, this tends to make it last a bit longer.
- Glossy or matte? A moister lip looks more modern and sexy but a matte formula stays on your lips longer and won’t feather.
- Avoid deep red if you have thin lips. Use darker reds or burgundy if you have dark skin; use a bright fire-engine red for yellow or olive toned skin; and use cool colored or crimson red for fair-skinned.
- Do the finger test. After you apply the red lipstick, place an index finger over your front teeth. Wrap your lips around the finger and pull it out.
- Remember: Anyone can pull off a red lipstick. It just needs confidence to back it up! 😉